Once Upon a Time
In Nursery we will be learning about a different traditional tale each week. In addition to all of the wonderful learning opportunities below, Nursery class are hoping to have many magical moments to share with your children.
Personal, Social and Emotional
- Children will be given the opportunity to develop their confidence in new situations.
- Children will be encouraged to consider the needs of others.
- Children will be able to choose from a wide range of resources.
- Children will have the opportunity to talk about their own feelings.
Communication and Language including Literacy
- We will celebrate the work of a variety of authors and enjoy lots of rhyming stories.
- The children will use puppets and props linking to familiar stories.
- Children will engage in activities that will encourage them to experiment with writing.
- Understand 'why' questions.
- Read, write, inc games and Fred talk.
- Children will manipulate different tools and equipment.
- Children will negotiate space and different ways of moving.
- Children will show a preference for a dominant hand.
- Encourage independence skills, such as helping to dress.
- Use a comfortable grip with good control when holding pens and pencils.
Understanding the World
- We will enjoy joining in with family customs and celebrations.
- We will encourage families to share any experiences and pictures.
- We will develop an understanding of growth.
- We will use natural objects to help us to explore quantities and to count each item.
- Children will compare difference and similarities using language to describe measures.
- Children will explore height, length, capacity and mass.
- Learn numbers 1-10 using songs and stories.
Expressive Arts and Design
- We will create closed shapes with continuous lines, and begin to use these shapes to represent objects.
- We will tap out rhymes and rhythms.
- Children will use their own ideas in imaginative play.
- Children will use different media for their own creations.
- This half term we will be learning about Christmas and how Mary was the Mother of Jesus.
- We will learn that Baptism is a ceremony where babies are named and why water is used.
- We will work hard to follow our school virtues.