Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)
At St Joseph's we follow the Early Years Foundation Stage Framework 2021. The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) sets standards for the learning, development and care of children from birth to 5 years old.
The EYFS sets out:
- The legal welfare requirements that everyone must follow to keep your child safe and promote their welfare
- The 7 areas of learning and development which guide professionals’ engagement with your child’s play and activities as they learn new skills and knowledge
- Assessments that will tell you about your child’s progress through the EYFS
- Expected levels that your child should reach at age 5, usually the end of the reception year
Learning and Development
Children in the EYFS learn by playing and exploring, being active, and through creative and critical thinking which takes place both indoors and outside. Children will be learning skills, acquiring new knowledge and demonstrating their understanding through 7 areas of Learning and Development.
- Communication and language
- Physical development
- Personal, social and emotional development
The Specific Areas:
- Understanding the world
- Expressive arts and design